Monday, October 12, 2009

Searching for an MJs

Sitting in my chilly house (Kathy & I are attempting to make it through this crisp Pittsburgh October without using the furnace), my mind kept conjuring up images of MJs Coffeehouse in Annville, PA. I could see the vintage/classic decor, hear the trendy background music, feel the warmth of a familiar place frequented by familiar people. In short, I miss it. I miss Tina working behind the counter, stopping by my table to chat. I miss live Jazz nights. I miss Skip asking his patrons to guess my age and occupation. Since MJs is a good four hour drive from my current house, my next best solution for this kind of homesickness was to hunt for a cozy, busy cafe nearby. Thinking it was nearly winter outside, I put on my heaviest sweatshirt, grabbed a scarf and extra jacket, backpack, and books, and headed to the car. Driving up the hill on Murray, I peered into the windows of the various coffeehouses I passed. Starbucks is too much of a chain. 61C has the best hot chocolate in Pittsburgh but no comfy chairs. I circled around and drove back down the hill, deciding I'd settle in at Te Cafe for the evening. Leaving my scarf and extra jacket in the car (the chilly temperature in the house was a bit deceptive), to my delight I discovered that the stuffed chairs by the window were unoccupied.
So that's where I am. I've sunk down into the cushions, hooked up to the wireless network, and commenced my evening of study. Most of the other people here are sitting at individual tables, laptops open, studying diligently. The table directly in front of me, actually only two feet away, is engaged in pleasant conversation, American and German accents mingling. Te Cafe isn't MJs, but it might become my Pittsburgh MJs. The bright yellow walls, the intimate space, the abundance of potted plants and eclectic art, the red beehive lamps hanging from the ceiling--I can enjoy this. I can feel at home here. In fact, I might actually be able to get some work done.

No comments:

Post a Comment