I was convinced this Easter would feel lonely. I made the decision to stay in Pittsburgh because my two biggest essays are due after Easter break. That makes this the first Easter I’m spending away from my family. I haven’t been home to hug Mom in over two months. That’s probably the longest I’ve been in Pittsburgh without a trip home.
It’s Good Friday night. We’re halfway through the Easter holiday, that much closer to Resurrection. I couldn’t have been more wrong about this week. Instead of feeling lonely and homesick, I’m feeling more at home and content than I have in a long time. Why?
I’m not sure how to explain it. I’m the only one at the house. Kathy is visiting her family in Maryland. It rained all day today; the house is a little chilly; I spent a good part of the day agonizing over a 25 page paper. That’s a perfect recipe for loneliness. Instead I feel comfortable, warm, loved.
I remember nearly two years ago just before I moved to Pittsburgh, telling my spiritual parents, Barry & Olivia, that I was afraid I wouldn’t find community in my new location. I love Cornerstone and all the people in it. They loved me in the midst of some of the most intense pain and emotional weakness I’ve experienced. That’s irreplaceable.
I think that perhaps more than anything, the experiences of this Easter are affirming yet again that God provides. I have a family here, one more abundant and loving than I could have created on my own. And this week I’m seeing the love of Jesus expressed through the members of that family in quiet poignant moments. I saw it when I happened upon Lance in Squirrel Hill and we ended up going to the grocery store together. I saw when Eileen invited me to visit her at the 61C café. I saw it as I studied with Jade and Madhu, their company making the homework seem like less of a drag. I saw it as I ate and laughed with Aida, Mirlan, and Madhu. I saw it when Mike sat with me for the Maundy Thursday service and helped me corral Upper Room’s always-energetic two year old, Jeremiah. And I saw it tonight as a room full of friends sat together in near-darkness to remember the death of our Jesus. This Easter has become a reminder of the blessing of community that exists in the family of Christ everywhere I go.
There’s a sweetness to this week, a simplicity and sincerity in the way Jesus is speaking. He is provider.
I can’t wait for Sunday. I’m in the mood to celebrate!

No comments:
Post a Comment